Toes

This baby boy has me on my toes.  I had a long blog about his sleeping habits and our attempts at trying to get him on a schedule, but I'm trashing it.  I'm also trashing any pretense I have about his sleeping habits or patterns or a schedule.

My new plan is that when he's fussy I'll try to put him to sleep and if it doesn't work, I'm not forcing it.  He can come back out here and we'll play or walk or watch TV.  I just can't force it anymore - he is more stubborn than I am and does NOT like being forced to go to sleep (nor lulled, rocked, swayed, walked, shhhhed, etc).  And there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to his sleeping habits.  One day he needs 16 hours of sleep in 24 hours, the next day he needs 12, some days 10.  And all I'm doing by trying to keep him on a schedule is drive everyone crazy.  Mostly myself.  So, done.  Hands brushed.  Done.

This weekend was pretty insane with the kids and Miles trying to sleep in the same room, so I'm not sure what we're going to do about that yet.  Friday night consisted of Tony carrying the crib from Miles' room to the living room by himself at 2 AM (the kids coughing woke him up, he's such a light sleeper).  That was a sight!  And boy was I impressed and grateful.  Saturday night was more from our insomniac baby.  He refused to go to sleep, cried for about 2 hours and then was up again from 1 AM to 3 AM.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't figure out what it is.  My plan is a ton of internet research and book buying.  But in the meantime - he's the boss and I'm just not forcing it anymore.

For anyone with advice (and I'm open to any help I can get) - Miles is a great sleeper once he wants to sleep.  Last night he slept from 10:30 to 7:30 this morning.  But that was after an hour of crying because we put him to bed before he was ready.  No amount of rocking, nursing, walking, singing, swaying, bouncing -- nothing -- will soothe him if we are trying to put him to sleep before he's ready.  Crying it out doesn't work, we've tried for a little over two hours before, but we may not be doing it right.  Nursing him puts him STRAIGHT to sleep, but he is the lightest sleeper in the world, so the second he's done -- he's awake.

The absolute only way I can get him to sleep is if he is exhausted and finally can't keep his eyes open any more.  And when he is exhausted all we have to do is lay him down in his crib and he goes right to sleep no fuss, just like a dream baby.  We've tried to put him down when he's kinda sleepy, when he's not sleepy but should be and neither work.  He refuses to miss out on the world with this pesky thing called sleep!

So, wish us luck as we try to figure this all out.  We definitely need it.

On the upside - last night was the first night in a long time without a 3 am feeding and I forgot how awesome it is to sleep through the night!  I feel like I could run a marathon! 

Why can't he do more of this!

Comments

Popular Posts