Our Homeschooling Day

In my last post I mentioned that we don't necessarily do "school" every single day.  Which is true.  But I don't want to imply that we don't bother with anything ever.

We do school a lot.  Some days we do more then others.  Some days we do nothing (rare).  But most days we try to hit at least our reading lesson out of Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and math.

Since I haven't dropped the hammer on our math curriculum yet (I want this one!) we've been doing our Star Wars Math workbook and lots of fun apps on the iPad.  I love the Starfall app.  It's teaching him things like coins, measuring, geometry basics, fractions, and more with fun games that he actually loves to play!  We also practice letter writing and I think it's thanks to the Starfall app (and the Star Wars workbook actually) that he finally grasped 12, 13, 14, 15.  He kept skipping 13.

A DMB friend actually introduced me to a bunch of other fun iPad apps.  One that teaches about our bodies (he loves it) and one that's a really cool interactive atlas of the world.  So if he is playing well with his sister or by himself, I usually let him play.  When he wants to play a video game or watch TV - I let him do a learning app or a Star Wars workbook.

Some days it's hard to fit everything in.  Between playing, running errands, taking care of a 2 year old, meals and taking care of the house.  I'm still trying to find my groove.

I've had our Kiwi Crate art projects out on the dining room table all week, and we just haven't had time to get to them yet.  But we did 2 art projects last week, so I'm not worried about missing one this week.  We can try to catch up later.

And that's what I love about homeschool.  We go at our own pace!  If we don't hit our reading lesson every day - then I make up for it during the weekend.  Sometimes we do 2 lessons in 1 day if he's really having fun.  He loves the book we're using, so it's been easy to get him to do his work so far.

And some days we really are just too busy playing!

Comments

Popular Posts