Chocolate Covered Candied Grapefruit Peels

I love to follow random Instagrammers.  Other moms, Dallas moms, or just anyone that takes beautiful pictures.  I'm not sure how I find some of them, but one of my favorites is MamaEatsPlants.  She is a vegan, but she posts such gorgeous pictures of the fruits and veggies she eats - I find it inspiring.

Right before Valentines she posted another beautiful picture of one of her rainy day ideas - candied grapefruit peels and I was fascinated.  I'd never heard of it before and knew I had to try it!!

I bought 2 grapefruits, sugar, and some dark chocolate chips. 

After some Googling (sorry Bill) I found this recipe and went to town!

Basically you first carefully remove the peels from the grapefruit leaving on as much of the pith (or white part) as you can.  (Quartering them is easiest.)  Then you slice the peels into thick strips.

Then (and this is the fun/annoying part) -- you'll boil those peels 4 separate times.  Put them in a pan, fill with water, bring to a boil and then drain the water out and start all over X 4.  You are trying to boil out as much of the bitterness as possible, so fresh water each time is important.


Then you will return to the pan and add water again and this time about 2 cups of sugar.  Place over low heat and let it simmer for about 2 hrs.  

After 2 hrs the pith starts to turn clear and you have jellies!!  It's pretty cool.  Store with the syrup in an air tight container until you are ready to use or until they cool.
I left them in the fridge for a few hours and then laid them all out on these wire plate separators to dry overnight. 

Next came the fun part!  Covering them in chocolate!  My sister suggested that it's easiest to warm the chocolate in the microwave.  Start with 30 second, try to stir and then add either 5 or 10 sec at a time to get it melted but not burnt.  Making sure to stir often.  Usually parts\ of the chocolate will be super hot and when you stir that will help melt all of it.

Then dip and let dry on some wax paper!



I got carried away and started dipping everything in the house I could find.  It was delicious!

And the candied grapefruit was the biggest hit! 

I cannot wait to make them again!  They were tart and tasted like grapefruit, but jelly and a good mix with the chocolate.  And I loved using the rinds that normally get thrown away!

Comments

Popular Posts